Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Talk to our attorneys today.

Protecting Your Rights In Family Matters

Can a parenting plan be modified as a child grows?

On Behalf of | Jun 1, 2022 | Child Custody

As children grow their needs change, and so should your parenting plan. Arrangements that may have worked for your family when you were first divorced may no longer be serving you now that your children are older. In these instances, one or both parents may seek to modify child support, custody or visitation agreements.

Can you modify these decisions after you finalize the divorce? Yes, you can.

What circumstances would require a change to our parenting plan?

There may be changes related to your child’s life that would benefit from a change to the plan. Perhaps your child has changed schools, suffered an accident or illness, or has mental health concerns.

A parent may have life changes like a new job or illness that may result in needing to tweak existing situations. Or a parent may have concerns about the other’s ability to meet the parameters that are currently in effect.

My ex and I co-parent amicably. Do we have to go to court?

When parents are in an amicable relationship and agree on the modifications they would like to make to their arrangements, there is no need to go to court. However, it is wise to put your new decisions on paper and submit them to the court’s record. This helps you clearly define your new agreement and would allow the court to enforce it if necessary.

My ex and I do not agree on new arrangements. Now what?

If parents are unable to come to an agreement themselves, one parent can file a motion or a lawsuit to make the necessary changes.

Raising children is one of life’s hardest and most rewarding roles. Being able to meet your child’s needs, even if it requires modifications to existing agreements, should be a parent’s first priority.

FindLaw Network