Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Talk to our attorneys today.

Protecting Your Rights In Family Matters

How does the state enforce child support orders?

On Behalf of | Apr 16, 2021 | Child Support And Maintenance

Part of your divorce settlement as a parent likely included stipulations regarding the financial support of your child. If you agreed or the court ordered you to pay child support, staying current on your obligations may help ensure your child gets the care he or she needs, as well as keep you from facing potential consequences for nonpayment.

The Illinois Division of Child Support Service, among other tasks, aids in ensuring compliance with child support orders. If you do not pay, the division may take several actions to try to collect what you owe.

Intercept of funds

According to the in Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, if you fall behind on child support, the state may intercept certain funds as a collection of your owed amounts. For example, the state may withhold funds from tax refunds, as well as unemployment benefits to apply toward your arrears.

License suspension or denial

The state’s Division of Child Support Service may request the suspension or denial of certain licenses if you owe past-due child support. Until such time as you catch up or make other arrangements, you may have your driver’s license or recreational licenses, such as those required for hunting or fishing, suspended. The state may also suspend your professional licenses, which may affect your ability to work and earn.

Liens on property

Should you owe past-due child support but have assets of value, the state may place liens on your property. This may include your bank accounts, real estate holdings or vehicles. While in place, liens prevent you from selling, borrowing against and taking other such actions with the property or account in question.

As a parent, you never want to negatively affect your child’s well-being. Staying current or making other arrangements should your circumstances drastically change may help you avoid jeopardizing your child’s care and the other potential repercussions of falling behind on your child support payments.

FindLaw Network