Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Talk to our attorneys today.

Protecting Your Rights In Family Matters

What can you do if your spouse does not pay their child support?

On Behalf of | Nov 2, 2020 | Child Support And Maintenance

Child support may act as a source of income to provide a reasonable living for your child, so it might feel like the floor is dropping out from you when those payments stop coming in. You might feel angry, anxious or even retaliatory in your search to find a quick solution.

Delinquent child support payments have consequences, but they may not happen promptly. It is important for you to remain patient and diligent because there are a few steps to take.

Report it

According to in Illinois’s Department of Child Support Services, any delinquency automatically calculates on the obligor’s account. That does not necessarily get you your money though, since the system may act on a timeline of weeks versus your immediate need. Reporting early might urge the DCSS to issue a letter of intent to collect on the support through wage garnishment or other means sooner.

Track your loss

If the issue goes to court, it may help to have a comprehensive record of everything your ex owes. Pay apps like Venmo or divorce-minded apps like Talking Parents highlight discrepancies. The more records you keep, the more likely you have a strong case in the event your ex contests or appeals against any DCSS action.

Remain calm

This child support is for the sake of your child and securing those regular payments is important. But the last thing your child needs is the stress of finding themselves in the middle of a child support battle. Your anger may feel justified, but be careful that it does not affect a child’s psyche. Take this process one step at a time, lean on your resources and keep a level head when dealing with this situation.

FindLaw Network