Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Talk to our attorneys today.

Protecting Your Rights In Family Matters

The child isn’t yours? Speak up during your divorce

On Behalf of | Jan 24, 2020 | Child Support And Maintenance

There are always couples who have called into question the biological parentage of their children. Perhaps one woman slept with a different man during her marriage and got pregnant. Maybe there is a question about the legitimacy of the child and their relation to the woman’s husband.

If the couple decides to divorce, this could cause a major issue, especially if the father does not want to pay support. When married, the husband is generally assumed to be the father of a child, so the obligation to pay support is already there. However, if you don’t think that the child is yours, then that might create a different set of circumstances in which your attorney can ask the court to relieve you of those duties.

When should you seek a DNA test before agreeing to pay child support?

If there is any question about the parentage of a child, it’s important to ask for a DNA test as soon as possible. Doing so helps prevent situations in divorce where a father doesn’t believe that a child is actually his biological child.

Can you sue if you pay support for a child that isn’t yours?

It depends. If you find out later that your child is not biologically yours despite being told they were, then you might have a case. This is a sensitive subject, so it’s important to bring all the information when you talk to your attorney. Your attorney can give you more information on how to handle a case like this and if it’s possible to ask for a refund of the support you paid in the past.

FindLaw Network