Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Talk to our attorneys today.

Protecting Your Rights In Family Matters

Here’s what to do if you’re served a divorce summons

On Behalf of | Jul 10, 2019 | Divorce

If you have received a summons for divorce from your spouse, then you need to know the steps to take next. A summons just lets you know that they have filed for divorce and would like to have your response.

You have 30 days to respond to the summons by filing your appearance and a response. You can also choose not to provide a response to the summons. If you choose not to respond, then the court is able to hold you in default, and your spouse is able to continue the divorce process without any further notice to you.

When you file a response and appearance, there is a fee. If you wish to file a motion, you’ll also be able to do that when you appear at the clerk’s office. After you respond, or after 30 days have passed, your spouse then needs to go to the local clerk’s office, where they will be able to set up a court date.

Between the time when you receive the first notice of the dissolution of marriage summons and your response, you should reach out to your attorney to start working on your case. While you can respond without the assistance of your attorney, it’s in your best interests to talk to your attorney before responding so that you know how you want to respond and how the way you respond might impact your case.

Our site has more on divorce and what you should do if your spouse serves you with a divorce petition. The right help makes a difference in divorce cases.

FindLaw Network