Robert A. Chapski, Ltd. Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas
Talk to our attorneys today.
Call 847-742-1642 orĀ send us an email

Here's what to do if you're served a divorce summons

If you have received a summons for divorce from your spouse, then you need to know the steps to take next. A summons just lets you know that they have filed for divorce and would like to have your response.

You have 30 days to respond to the summons by filing your appearance and a response. You can also choose not to provide a response to the summons. If you choose not to respond, then the court is able to hold you in default, and your spouse is able to continue the divorce process without any further notice to you.

When you file a response and appearance, there is a fee. If you wish to file a motion, you'll also be able to do that when you appear at the clerk's office. After you respond, or after 30 days have passed, your spouse then needs to go to the local clerk's office, where they will be able to set up a court date.

Between the time when you receive the first notice of the dissolution of marriage summons and your response, you should reach out to your attorney to start working on your case. While you can respond without the assistance of your attorney, it's in your best interests to talk to your attorney before responding so that you know how you want to respond and how the way you respond might impact your case.

Our site has more on divorce and what you should do if your spouse serves you with a divorce petition. The right help makes a difference in divorce cases.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us For Legal Advice

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Elgin Office
1815 Grandstand Pl
Elgin, IL 60123

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Elgin Law Office Map

St. Charles Office
2210 Dean St
St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Map & Directions