Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas

Talk to our attorneys today.

Protecting Your Rights In Family Matters

Can you modify your visitation schedule?

On Behalf of | May 15, 2019 | Child Custody

A visitation schedule for the non-custodial parent is often a big part of a parenting agreement. If you have visitation rights, it’s critical to understand what you can and can’t do. This will help you avoid a mistake that could upset your children or your ex-spouse.

There may come a time when you need to modify your visitation. This is nothing to take lightly, as the process requires attention to detail and the involvement of the other parent.

Some of the most common reasons for a visitation schedule modification include:

  • A substantial change in circumstances, such as a new job that requires you to travel more than before
  • Your ex-spouse, who has physical custody, has moved out of the area
  • Your original visitation order is no longer a good fit for you, your ex and/or your children

Along with the above, keep in mind that your ex could ask for visitation rights to change if you repeatedly violate the terms and conditions. An example of this is keeping your children for longer than you’re supposed to.

If you’ve decided that a visitation modification is necessary, make detailed notes regarding why you believe it should be granted. Also, learn more about the legal process, as you’ll need to file the appropriate paperwork with the court.

Finally, if your ex agrees to a visitation modification, it’s much easier to get the court to follow suit. You may want to discuss the modification with your ex before filing the necessary paperwork, as getting on the same page can save you a lot of time and reduce stress and tension.

FindLaw Network