Robert A. Chapski, Ltd. Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas
Talk to our attorneys today.
Call 847-742-1642 orĀ send us an email

You can seek help for a custody dispute

Child custody concerns are probably going to be on your mind during a divorce until you're able to resolve any custody disputes you have. You and your spouse may both want what is best for your children, but you'll also likely disagree on some major points.

It's normal to disagree on visitation time and other factors that involve your children, especially when you're divorcing. However, you can resolve your conflicts in a helpful manner. One thing you may want to try is mediation. Another is arbitration. Even family therapy might be helpful in this situation.

How can you help your spouse see things your way?

One of the best ways for you both to see things eye-to-eye is to work together to come up with a decision on how you want to raise your child and how you'd like to design your visitation schedule. If you have trouble working together, one option is to go through mediation, which would allow you to have a third party present when you talk through your dispute. That way, you'll both stay on topic, and the discussion will be less likely to turn into an argument.

To keep the dispute out of court, you can also try arbitration. Arbitration allows you to have another party make a decision on your case, while you both present your arguments.

Your attorney can talk to you more about these options if you need assistance deciding on child custody terms. Our site has more on custody and what you should do if you are involved in a custody dispute.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us For Legal Advice

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Elgin Office
1815 Grandstand Pl
Elgin, IL 60123

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Elgin Law Office Map

St. Charles Office
2210 Dean St
St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Map & Directions