Robert A. Chapski, Ltd. Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas
Talk to our attorneys today.
Call 847-742-1642 orĀ send us an email

What do you do if child support causes disputes?

Child support can quickly become a point of contention during a divorce. This is one of many reasons why child support is normally dictated by the court. The judge may tell you how much that the noncustodial spouse will pay based on the guidelines for the state.

However, it is potentially possible to negotiate child support. As long as you and your spouse can agree on how much support is necessary, then you may not need to ask the judge to base your support on the state guidelines.

Keep in mind that the judge does have to approve any requests that you make in terms of child support. If you want to increase it, reduce it or accept a lower amount than is typical for the state, you will need to provide good documentation to show why this is in the best interests of your child or why you can't afford higher payments.

What should I do if the other parent isn't paying?

If you do have a child support order that the other parent is not paying, there are a few questions that have to be asked. First, can they afford it? If not, they need to seek a modification in court. If they can afford it and simply will not pay, then you can take them to court, and ask the judge to enforce the order. This could result in garnishing the other parent's wages or the use of other enforcement techniques to get you money for your child. Your attorney can talk to you more about the options you have.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us For Legal Advice

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Elgin Office
1815 Grandstand Pl
Elgin, IL 60123

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Elgin Law Office Map

St. Charles Office
2210 Dean St
St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Map & Directions