Robert A. Chapski, Ltd. Divorce and family law attorneys serving Kane County and the surrounding areas
Talk to our attorneys today.
Call 847-742-1642 orĀ send us an email

Can you modify your visitation schedule?

A visitation schedule for the non-custodial parent is often a big part of a parenting agreement. If you have visitation rights, it's critical to understand what you can and can't do. This will help you avoid a mistake that could upset your children or your ex-spouse.

There may come a time when you need to modify your visitation. This is nothing to take lightly, as the process requires attention to detail and the involvement of the other parent.

Some of the most common reasons for a visitation schedule modification include:

  • A substantial change in circumstances, such as a new job that requires you to travel more than before
  • Your ex-spouse, who has physical custody, has moved out of the area
  • Your original visitation order is no longer a good fit for you, your ex and/or your children

Along with the above, keep in mind that your ex could ask for visitation rights to change if you repeatedly violate the terms and conditions. An example of this is keeping your children for longer than you're supposed to.

If you've decided that a visitation modification is necessary, make detailed notes regarding why you believe it should be granted. Also, learn more about the legal process, as you'll need to file the appropriate paperwork with the court.

Finally, if your ex agrees to a visitation modification, it's much easier to get the court to follow suit. You may want to discuss the modification with your ex before filing the necessary paperwork, as getting on the same page can save you a lot of time and reduce stress and tension.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us For Legal Advice

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Elgin Office
1815 Grandstand Pl
Elgin, IL 60123

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Elgin Law Office Map

St. Charles Office
2210 Dean St
St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 847-742-1642
Fax: 847-742-1676
Map & Directions